Having friends is expensive. Eating out, drinking at bars, movie tickets, gas. Sometimes, you wonder how you can afford to still have friends without going broke! But keep in mind, there are plenty of ways to spend time with your favorite people without breaking the bank:
- Watch your favorite TV shows together. Who else is excited for the next season of Scandal? Instead of watching it at home by yourself, host a viewing party to watch it together and catch up on conversation during commercials!
- Potluck it up! Cooking and eating together at someone’s house is way more affordable and way more yummy sometimes than eating out! My friends and I in Boston used to host “Iron Chef Night” where we would pick the “secret ingredient” and then all bring dishes with that ingredient. Who knew there were so many ways to enjoy mango?
- Work-out together. I confess, I am not good at this at all. But many of my friends have gotten really close because they run together, go biking or other exercises on a regular basis.
- Host game night! Our friends are big fans of charades and taboo and all those other fun games that turn into inside jokes later on since funny things are bound to happen! AJ and I also like the nerdier games like Settlers of Catan, Dominion and Munchkin which make for a few hours of snacks and great conversation between turns. Get a bunch of friends together and just have some good, old-fashioned family-style fun!
- Volunteer for a good cause. Getting a group of friends to spend a couple hours at the local food pantry or help build a house for Habitat for Humanity is a great way to have some fun, spend time together and feel good about helping others!
And remember, that with true friends, you don’t necessarily need a ton of entertainment to distract you. Sometimes just rolling up on the couch and just being together is all you need 🙂